Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Sick

Being sick with a baby is not like being sick for normal people. Before babes I would disappear into oceans of covers, tea and tissues, sleeping all day to allow my body to heal. I would recover in about 3-4 days and it was fine.

I have been sick for over a week, it looks like the tail-end of it now. It started with a sore throat, then added a fever, then body aches and a soul-wracking cough, complete with junky lungs and raspy voice. My whole body would seize up and my lower back (of all things?) would be sore try to get the gunk out.

I've been exhausted. I haven't been able to sleep more than 3 hours in a row with this sickness because either babes needs to eat or my cough wakes me up. On the upside, Evelyn's clustering has been hitting a fever pitch (ha!) and I have been easily able to meet her constant feeding schedule by just tucking her into bed next to me for all day nursing. The difficulty comes when she's bored and I can't manage entertainment.

Evelyn wants to stay up after her night-time feedings now. She's wide-eyed and wants to look around, not go back to sleep. Last night She woke up after only 3 hours of sleep, fed for about 30-40 minutes and then wanted to look around. My attempts to put her down were futile and within 5 minutes she'd start yelling again to be picked up. Finally, after an extra bottle and another hour spent shushing her, Jonathan finally got her to go to sleep while I spent the next chunk of time trying to cough out whatever was in my system. At some point she must have woken up again since this morning she was in bed next to me but she wanted to play at 6am. There's no rest for the wicked.

One day this parenting thing will be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment